The ADCH promotes best practice in animal welfare for dogs and cats. Our members are dedicated to dog rescue & cat rescue
There are some 16 million pet dogs and cats throughout the UK,
the vast majority kept by responsible, loving owners.
Regrettably however some 250,000 pets come into rescue centres
each year where our members endeavour to place them in new caring homes.
Whilst in the care of our members we expect all animals to
receive the best possible attention including
exercise, enrichment and appropriate basic training.
Through the commitment and dedicated hard work of our members
we hope to educate the public so that those considering a new
family dog or cat will take on a rescue pet or purchase
through an accredited breeder. The alternative is to support the irresponsible and unnecessary breeding
of animals which simply increases the number of dogs and cats
awaiting rehoming from rescue centres.
If you have arrived at this site because you are interested in cat rehoming or dog rehoming,
visit our list of members
and select one in your area who will have many animals in
desperate need of a new home.
The membership of
the Association includes charities, or not for profit
organisations of all sizes, situated throughout England,
Scotland, Wales, Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
The Association acts as a platform for identifying and
disseminating information on best practice and for raising the
standards of animal welfare.
The purposes of the Association are to:
- Develop good practice and influence others working in the rescue and/or rehoming of dogs and cats.
- Address common problems and issues.
- Explore and, where appropriate, negotiate price reductions through economies of scale.
- Exchange information and provide mutual support where practicable, which may include the movement of dogs and cats
- Combine resources to encourage workable, welfare enhancing legislation.
- Exchange knowledge in construction and refurbishment of facilities.
- Where appropriate and agreed,
represent the views of members to a wider audience.
Petplan & ADCH
have joined forces to celebrate the outstanding work of staff and
volunteers in animal charities and not-for-profit organisations
across the UK.
To find out more about the award scheme and make your
nomination click on the button